How TransferWise drives growth
This episode is a discussion with Nick Lembo – who headed up growth for Transferwise across APAC, and now heads up growth for Transferwise in the Americas. We talk about how Transferwise drives growth across different regions, how its mission drives everything they do, how they use data to drive decisions, and everything in between.
- Nick Lembo on LinkedIn
- Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
You’re listening to The Growth Manifesto Podcast, a Zoom video series brought to you by Webprofits – a digital growth consultancy that helps global and national businesses attract, acquire, and retain customers through digital marketing.
Hosted by Alex Cleanthous.
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/webprofitstv/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/webprofits/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/web-profits/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Webprofits/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/webprofits
- Agency: https://www.webprofits.io
- 00:00:42 Nick’s introduction to the Growth Manifesto Podcast
- 00:02:01 An introduction to TransferWise
- 00:04:01 Nick discusses the “Stop the Exchange Rate Ripoff Report” and how the lack of exchange rate transparency creates confusion and costs customers
- 00:08:04 Does TransferWise’s success come more from B2C or B2B?
- 00:10:21 Nick tells us what he was hired to do in Transferwise
- 00:12:15 Nick clues us in on TransferWise’s expansion strategy to other countries
- 00:15:53 What was behind the success of the TransferWise website when you first started?
- 00:19:47 How important are customer personas for TransferWise?
- 00:21:35 The three pillars of growth in TransferWise are organic growth, paid growth & product growth
- 00:24:33 According to Nick & TransferWise, there are three things that move NPS in a meaningful way: Price, Speed, and Convenience.
- 00:27:06 How did you approach multilingual marketing & localisation when TransferWise expanded to other countries?
- 00:33:04 Does your customer understanding and data across regions for TransferWise always keep changing or does it stay the same?
- 00:34:20 Nick enlightens us on TransferWise’s optimisation process across the board.
- 00:36:35 How do you continue to find ideas and fuel growth amidst all of TransferWise’s optimisation processes?
- 00:40:54 TransferWise’s decision making is driven by the customer impact
- 00:42:51 According to Nick, when you scale, the data doesn’t get harder to find but it gets harder to prioritize due to the amount of consumer information you receive.
- 00:44:18 What’s your process for deciding which step to take next in TransferWise?
- 00:45:26 How big was your team back when you were running the APAC region for TransferWise?
- 00:48:42 Nick tells us about the communication process in TransferWise and their use of OKRs
- 00:54:17 What’s the difference in marketing TransferWise in North America versus APAC?
- 00:59:47 How much time do you actually spend speaking to customers?
- 01:02:46 Nick talks about “mission days” in TransferWise
- 01:08:40 The importance of company culture to Nick & the power of feedback
- 01:09:56 Quickfire Questions with Nick
- 01:15:50 What would you like the people listening to this podcast to do after this episode?
Now that you’re here…
Why not take a few minutes to see how Webprofits can help you achieve your growth aspirations?
We helped one company grow from $25M to $190M revenue in 4 years, and we work with challenger brands that want to make a serious impact in their industry and have the resources (and the will) to make it happen.
If you want a growth strategy that leads the way in your industry, find out how Webprofits can help you transform your digital marketing.See what we can do