Discussing the agency landscape with Max Doyle of Hello Social
This episode is a discussion with Max Doyle, founder and Managing Director of Hello Social (a social media agency, and technically a competitor of ours). We go head-to-head and discuss the agency landscape, the different ways to run a social media strategy, and how to differentiate yourself from the market.
- 00:00:05 Max & Hello Social’s Introduction to The Growth Manifesto Podcast
- 00:02:28 Alex & Max discuss the differences between Webprofits & Hello Social
- 00:07:36 Max’s impressive journey from university to Hello Social
- 00:13:13 The early days of Hello Social + Max’s motivations
- 00:15:08 Max talks about getting pressure from his father and their current relationship
- 00:16:44 Hello Social’s initial approach to get clients
- 00:19:30 How did Hello Social scale once you started getting bigger clients?
- 00:20:57 Max & Alex talk about SEO & Search Ads
- 00:23:33 Hello Social & memes
- 00:27:30 Have the memes changed over the years in terms of performance or look?
- 00:29:20 How have the memes impacted Hello Social’s growth?
- 00:30:53 How would you approach starting a digital marketing agency if you had to start again today?
- 00:32:28 Why do you think humour works in the realm of marketing?
- 00:35:23 A company that’s starting out needs to find their personality and put it out there
- 00:36:06 The importance of a salesperson in an agency
- 00:37:38 Should digital marketing agencies have a standard or code of conduct?
- 00:38:46 Hello Social’s 3 Family Values: (1) Turning water into wine; (2) For family’s sake; (3) Cheers, mate!
- 00:44:37 Webprofits’ Company Values + Alex talks about how it’s more of a ‘team’ than a ‘family’
- 00:46:50 Max talks about his software startup Rivuu and the challenges he’s faced while running Hello Social
- 00:53:52 Max discusses his biggest learning with Rivuu and what happened to Hello Social while he was working on the software startup
- 00:56:05 Alex discusses his own software venture and his own challenges
- 00:59:55 Is it hard to just focus on one thing?
- 01:00:48 How effective is influencer marketing?
- 01:04:00 Is there a smaller-scale version of influencer marketing for small businesses?
- 01:06:07 Max & Alex do a marketing strategy challenge
- 01:12:02 The difference between butter and margarine
- 01:12:33 The best bit of advice Max could give anybody who’s starting their own company
You’re listening to The Growth Manifesto Podcast, brought to you by Web Profits, where we share inspiring stories of real people who’ve succeeded in the marketing and business world.
Hosted by Alex Cleanthous.
Now that you’re here…
Why not take a few minutes to see how Webprofits can help you achieve your growth aspirations?
We helped one company grow from $25M to $190M revenue in 4 years, and we work with challenger brands that want to make a serious impact in their industry and have the resources (and the will) to make it happen.
If you want a growth strategy that leads the way in your industry, find out how Webprofits can help you transform your digital marketing.See what we can do