How to use the power of ‘WE’ to build cohesive, high-performance teams
This episode is with Laura Kriska, author of The Business of WE – the proven 3-step process for closing the gap between us & them in your workplace. Laura is an expert on cross-cultural relations with more than thirty years of experience bridging gaps in diverse workplaces. She has worked with Fortune 500 companies on four continents helping them build trust across Us versus Them differences based on nationality, ethnicity, race, religion, age or any factor of identity. We talk about how to build cohesive, high-performance teams, regardless of members’ differences.
- Laura’s Website
- Laura Kriska on LinkedIn
- The Business of We
- Loving: Interracial Intimacy in America and the Threat to White Supremacy
You’re listening to The Growth Manifesto Podcast, a Zoom video series brought to you by Webprofits – a digital growth consultancy that helps global and national businesses attract, acquire, and retain customers through digital marketing.
Hosted by Alex Cleanthous.
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/webprofitstv/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/webprofits/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/web-profits/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Webprofits/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/webprofits
- Agency: https://www.webprofits.io
- 00:00:43 Laura Kriska’s introduction to the Growth Manifesto Podcast.
- 00:01:30 The “Us vs. Them” Dynamic.
- 00:03:10 What are the negative implications of “Us vs. Them” in a business?
- 00:06:17 Who is the “We”?
- 00:08:35 Why “We-building” is important in organisations and why it’s good for business.
- 00:11:15 What are some of the warning signs that a company is having issues in terms of their inclusivity and “We-building”?
- 00:13:29 Laura recounts an experience where she helped clients understand the importance of assimilating into the culture and how it can give you successful outcomes.
- 00:23:32 Laura provides some examples of when companies fail to properly tackle the “Us vs. Them” dynamic and what they could have done differently to avoid the damage.
- 00:29:34 What are some of the things that companies can do to understand culture better and to build better trust?
- 00:37:20 Laura discusses intergroup anxiety and how everyone has felt like a “Them” at one point in their lives
- 00:40:01 Laura talks about the strong “Us vs. Them” dynamic happening in the United States with regards to race and how being a leader means having to have a lot of uncomfortable conversations with your team.
- 00:41:40 Laura explains “We-building” and how it’s a solution to the “Us vs. Them” dynamic.
- 00:47:51 What are some examples of free “We-building” tactics that companies can do?
- 00:52:51 If you want to have the most productive team, you need to put effort in creating trust and understanding.
- 00:54:45 What are some suggestions you can give to companies that want to start “we-building” in the world we are in today where everyone is at home or in a different location?
- 01:02:57 Quickfire Questions with Laura Kriska.
- 01:07:57 Where you can get Laura’s book and how you can get in touch with her.
Now that you’re here…
Why not take a few minutes to see how Webprofits can help you achieve your growth aspirations?
We helped one company grow from $25M to $190M revenue in 4 years, and we work with challenger brands that want to make a serious impact in their industry and have the resources (and the will) to make it happen.
If you want a growth strategy that leads the way in your industry, find out how Webprofits can help you transform your digital marketing.See what we can do