From startup to ASX-listing, and lessons along the way
This episode is a discussion with Brett Kelly – founder and CEO of Kelly Partners, speaker, and author of 4 best-selling books. We talk about what it takes to succeed in business from somebody that has taken a company from startup to being listed on the stock market, and the lessons along the way.
- 00:00:05 Brett’s Introduction to The Growth Manifesto Podcast
- 00:00:32 Brett tells us about his journey to forming Kelly+Partners
- 00:03:45 Brett talks about how his father helped guide him into writing his book “Collective Wisdom”
- 00:06:07 Brett’s ultimate inquest is “People and why they do what they do” which led him to write his book titled “Universal Wisdom”
- 00:08:05 Brett learned that the people at the very top are generous with their ideas, they’re comfortable with who they are, and they’ll help lift you up
- 00:08:45 Brett’s interest on how the world works and experiences in life eventually reflected on how he started his business
- 00:11:02 Brett talks about how the support of his wife had a big impact on the early stages of his business
- 00:12:07 Brett discusses “status anxiety” and how it affects most Sydney-siders
- 00:12:47 Brett tells us about the “Careful management of Capital” that he had to do at the start of his business
- 00:14:57 Brett believes that to manage your business, you need to have a supportive wife, you need to know how to manage your capital, and you need to know how to grow yourself
- 00:15:15 Brett’s tells us his model for how to build a business
- 00:16:10 “The Walmart Strategy” – Go where other people don’t go and grow where other people don’t notice.
- 00:18:19 Brett tells us what made him put his business in the Stock Exchange
- 00:20:11 Brett believes we’re going into an unprecedented era of transparency and believed that going public would be the best way to attract the best talent to their company
- 00:20:41 Growing a great business is what drives Brett
- 00:21:45 How has the quest for growth changed since Kelly+Partners went public?
- 00:22:31 “Thinking is the hardest work in the world and that’s who so few people are doing it properly” – Henry Ford
- 00:24:13 Brett gives us some advice on how to stay more focused through planning
- 00:26:43 A private business is most affected by the attitude of the founder and growing businesses are led by growing people.
- 00:28:40 What are some of the biggest changes Brett has seen in business over the years and how is he adapting?
- 00:31:00 Brett believes that the biggest change that businesses can make today is mastering the fundamentals
- 00:32:56 The biggest change that most business owners deal with right now is superficial changes in their customers and their employees versus the reality of who those people are
- 00:36:17 According to Brett, the Internet is the biggest game in town but not in the way that people think
- 00:37:22 Brett explains why he doesn’t like to jump on the bandwagon of the view that the world is changing much more now than it ever has
- 00:38:32 Brett tells us what he thinks the economy’s going to be like in Australia after the pandemic and if it’s possible to go into an economic depression
- 00:44:01 Brett tells his clients that you should always prepare for a depression and work for a recession. Be pessimistic in the short term and be optimistic in the long term.
- 00:47:25 Brett is hopeful that when a solution is found and that everyone’s mood steps up, the economy will reflect that as well
- 00:47:52 What can businesses do right now to be pessimistic in the short term and be optimistic in the long term?
- 00:50:20 Don’t spend on anything you don’t need. Make sure you know what the payment terms are with the clients you’re dealing with. Don’t pull back on marketing.
- 00:53:01 Brett explains why CEOs should have an investors mindset.
- 00:54:32 Brett’s advice to people that are looking to cut costs, be pessimistic, and investing in marketing?
- 00:58:45 How many hours is Brett working during the days of coronavirus?
- 01:00:43 Brett tells us how much he loves to help people and his business gives him a vehicle to do that so he never feels like he’s working.
- Brett Kelly on LinkedIn
- Brett Kelly’s Website
- Brett Kelly’s Books
- Kelly Partners Group Holdings Limited
You’re listening to the 2020 Marketing Series on The Growth Manifesto Podcast, a Zoom video series brought to you by Webprofits where we talk about how to drive business and marketing success through the rest of 2020.
Hosted by Alex Cleanthous.
Now that you’re here…
Why not take a few minutes to see how Webprofits can help you achieve your growth aspirations?
We helped one company grow from $25M to $190M revenue in 4 years, and we work with challenger brands that want to make a serious impact in their industry and have the resources (and the will) to make it happen.
If you want a growth strategy that leads the way in your industry, find out how Webprofits can help you transform your digital marketing.See what we can do